Saturday, October 19, 2013


Malaysia lost the first of their three friendly matches against India at the Dyan Chand Stadiun in preparation for the Junior World Cup this December.
India took a 3-0 lead at halftime before the Malaysians got onto the scoresheet but Undia scored the fourth to take the fight out of the Malaysians.
It was a repeat of the Sultan of Johor Cup final where India prevailed 3-0. But this time around India fielded a majority of players that did not travel to Johor Baru.
Missing from the team in Johor Baru were  midfielder Harjeet Singh, keeper Harjot Singh, striker Ramandeep Singh while the most notable Malaysian absentee was Firhan Ashaari who was nursing a knee injury/
However India had the services of Gurvinder Singh, Malak Singh, Mandeep Singh, all of whom who did not travel to the SOJC as they were nursing injuries.
"It was a good performance considering we took time to adjust to the bumpy putch conditions as well as several decisions that went against us<' said team manager Mirnawan Nawawi.
"There are still two more matches to go and we are here to adapt to the conditions and playing India gives the coaches an opportunity to asses the players as we will name our final 18 next month."
India opened scoring in the 2nd minute as Gurjinder converted a penalty corner. giving keeper Hazrul Faiz no chance whatsoever.
Despite having possession, Malaysia failed to make much headway and India hit back through a counter attack with Talwinder Singh scoring the second goal in the 11th minute.
Mohd Syamin Yusof and Rashid Baharom created very good chances  in 10th n 18th minute but their attempts were well saved by Sushant Tirkey in the Indian goal..
At the stroke of halftime India scored their third via Muhd Amir Khan for a halftime lead of 3-0.

Malaysia opted for a high press in the opening minutes of the second half and were duly rewarded with their first penalty corner of the match in the 38th minute but it was wasted.

A mistake from the Indian defense earned Malaysia their second penalty corner two minutes later and Shahril Saabah converted to reduce the deficit.
However the Indians hit back with their fourth goal in the 44th minute, Gurjinder scoring his second, to make it 4-1.
Malaysia reduced the deficit via Zulhairi Hashim in the 51st minute but could not make count another two penalty corners in the last ten minutes of the match.

The next match will be played on Sunday while the third on Monday, both at 7.00pm local Indian time.