Tuesday, June 28, 2011


Malaysia registered their first win in their playing tour in Europe after defeating Real Club de Polo 4-2 in Barcelona yesterday.

Goals by Nabil Fiqri Mohd Nor, Hafifihafiz Hanafi, Tengku Ahmad Tajuddin and Azami Adabi ensured the win in a match where Malaysia took a 2-0 lead only for Real de Polo to draw level through the efforts of Roger Padros who scored twice for Real Club de Polo

Malaysia were very much in control for much of the match but allowed their opponents to come back from 2-0 down to 2-2 but lifted their game in the last 15 minutes to score two goals.

"If we had capitalized on our lead and chances we would have been able to give more rest to our starting players and more playing time to our bench instead of having to put in more energy and effort to get the win," said stand in manager Stephen van Huizen.

Malaysia opened scoring in the 9th minute when Tengku Ahmad stole the ball on the right goaline and passed it to Hafifi who drew the goalkeeper and made a pass to Nabil for a tap in.

The second goal came in the 29th minute as Izwan took a reverse hit shot at goal but was saved by the goalkeeper. The ball fell to Firhan who kept his composure to set up pass to Hafifi to score.

Real de Polo reduced the deficit in the 30th minute. The Malaysian players were expecting a free hit for a foul but it not given and off a counter and long pass that was not trapped cleanly by Mohd Madzli Ikmar, the Spanish forward Roger Padros had a clean run into the semi circle the pull to S. Kumar's right in 1 v 1 situation and hit into goal.

And it was 2-2 in the 55th minute for despite dominating play and well in control Malaysia conceded the equalizer.
A high hit into semi circle was well trapped by Baljit Singh but the advantage given to the opponents and as a result we lost possession resulting in reverse hit by Roger Padros from the top of the semi circle that beat Kumar.

Malaysia went 3-2 ahead in 58th minute after a long pass from Madzli found Tengku Ahmad who dropped back to collect after some good running from the midfielders created the opening in the centre.

Tengku Ahmad went on a run to left side of the semi circle evading two defenders and hitting a reverse hit shot that goalkeeper padded but not cleanly and the ball crept into goal.

In the 67th minute Izwan received pass , cut in from the right flank and played a square pass to left side to Hafifi who pushed a hard ball to the far post for Azami to score.