Friday, December 23, 2011

RIP COACH LEONG

It was with profound sadness that I learnt the death of long time Perak hockey official and coach Leong Hor Cheng.

It was only last night that I was talking to former national coach C. Paramalingam about Leong, and unknown to both of us Leong passed away at the age of 75 yesterday.

My association with Leong started when he was the instructor together with Param at the Level One Coaching Course of which I was a participant.

And Leong, knowing the fact that I was the then NS Hockey Association Secretary, refused to grant any favors.

It was during that period that I learnt of his exploits with playing cards, and he even told us the story of how he was banned from Genting.

Over the years our regular place to meet was the Sultan Azlan Shah Stadium and it was in May that we caught up, though looking frail he was in good spirits.

Perak and Malaysian hockey has lost a knowledgable coach and I still have a coy of his syllabus that he used for the Level One courses.

The cortège will leave No.38 Jalan Sarawak, Sin Lok Garden, Ipoh at 10.00am on Saturday December 24 for cremation at the Paradise Memorial Park, Tanjung Rambutan.

Thanks for the memories and the laughter we shared not forgetting the coaching knowledge you imparted.

May his soul rest in peace and my condolences to the family.