Saturday, March 10, 2012


Malaysia got off to a winning start in their quest for 2012 London Olympics as they trashed Chile 5-1 in the opening match of the qualifiers in Dublin.

Converting four out of the eight penalty corners helped Malaysia register the big win that puts on track for a place towards Olympic qualification.

Malaysia were awarded the first penalty corner just 90 seconds into the match but wasted the opportunity as Mohd Madzli Ikmar made a mess of the stop.

And in the opening five minutes, Chile had not even entered the Malaysian 25 yet alone the semi circle. It was a question of when Chile would crack.

Malaysia kept up the pressure and were duly rewarded in the 18th minute as the penalty corner attempt by Mohd Razir Rahim sailed into goal, giving chile keeper Mathias Anwandter no chance whatsoever.

After that it was one chance after another wasted by Izwan Firdaus and Faisal Saari with Tengku Ahmad Tajuddin ably supported by Azlan Misrton making the decisive passes.

However lack of concentration in defence allowed Chile to create chances and after having wasted one penalty corner in the 12th minute, Chile made the second in the 20th minute count as Jan Richter sent in a low flick that had Kumar beaten.

Stung by the setback, Malaysia went onto the offensive from the restart and were rewarded with the second goal in the 22nd minute, this time it was Faisal Saari who struck to give Malaysia a 2-1 lead.

Malaysia stretched their lead in the 49th minute as Hafifihafiz Hanafi met a cross from Tengku Ahmad Tajuddin to deflect the ball past a despairing dive from the Chile keeper.

The constant pressure yielded another penalty corner for Malaysia, this time in the 51st minute and Razie stepped up to send a low drag flick into goal, much to the joy of the band of Malaysian supporters in the stands.

Malaysia were now coasting, everything going right for them as they broke through at ease. But what was worrying was their inability to finish off the chances created.

Mohd Amin Rahim came off the bench in the 58th minute and three minutes later he was on target from Malaysia's eight penalty corner to put Malaysia 5-1 ahead.