Sunday, October 14, 2012

QUALIFY FOR OLYMPICS OR I WILL QUIT



Malaysian Hockey Confederation President Tengku Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah has thrown a challenge, that Malaysia makes it to the 2016 Rio de Janerio Olympics or he shall vacate his position.

He made this statement when launching the seminar Five Year Strategic Plan for Pahang Hockey in Kuantan this morning.

“Compared to football, hockey has a far better chance of making it to the Olympics, hence my optimism,” said Tengku Abdullah.

“Therefore I have given myself the 2016 Olympics as the key performance index to gauge my contribution to the sport. I have faith that hockey will make it to the Olympics, hence I will vacate my post if Malaysia does not make it.

“I must emphasise that hockey will surely be back at the Olympics, maybe not during my tenure but one day Malaysia will be playing at the Olympics.”

Tengku Abdullah however remained cautious in the recall of several ex-internationals into the national team as revealed by nely appointed national coach Paul Revington.

“Personally as President, I would have preferred younger players to be included into the national team, but the decision is left to the coach,” said Tengku Abdullah.

“But the coach has his KPI and may be looking at both the short and long term targets, as we have the Asia Cup next year and will provide a spot for the 2014 World Cup.

“I hope that the players that have been given a second lease will work hard towards helping achieve the targets set.”

The one-day seminar on Pahang Hockey is earmarked to ensure that the state will be a force to be reckoned with in years to come. A total of 70 participants attended the seminar from the nine districts.

A podium finish of within 3-5 years has been earmarked with all teams, from the Under 14, 16,21, Razak Cup, Junior Hockey League and Malaysian Hockey League to win gold in 2017.

One of the key factors in the development plan is to ensure that district and state leagues are held in order to identify players that will go on to don Pahang colours in national tournaments.

“I do hope that affiliates of the MHC will also look towards holding such seminars and coming out with long term development programs,” added Tengku Abdullah.

“In Pahang I expect each district to produce at least one national player and that will ensure the continued contribution of Pahang towards the national agenda.”